The Barnstable Amateur Radio Club (BARC) has been awarded a $25,000 grant from the ARRL Foundation to develop an amateur radio station at Camp Greenough to serve the Cape & Islands Boy Scouts of America.
The funds will allow the club to:
• construct, operate and maintain an Amateur Radio Station at Camp Greenough
• expose scouts, guests and leaders to Amateur Radio
• demonstrate the public and emergency capabilities of Amateur Radio
• provide Merit Badge training
• provide Amateur Radio license training and licensing exams
“BARC provided the initial commitment of funds. The club then received commitments of assistance from Eversource, Comcast, FEW LLC (general contractor), and Avery Electric. No funding was required from the Boy Scouts of America or Camp Greenough for the project,” says BARC President Norm Cantin, WA1NLG.
“We are very excited about this opportunity to build a station at the Camp. We are meeting with the scout leadership this weekend to work out the details and to start the project.”