***** EMa ARES Leadership Action Plan *****
***** Please initiate at approximately 1400 today *****
Hello to all….
The present forecast is a nominal solution, even though the present consolidated prediction has the storm hitting land in the Carolinas and moving well inland away from us. Still, a run straight at us has not been ruled out as of yet, and a strike east of NYC (which is not a big change of direction from where it is now), could bring very undesirable effects into our area. Please don’t let down from your vigilance or preparations for this storm until Rob or I give an all clear.
Here is the action plan. Thanks to Frank WQ1O for putting pen to paper on this. [Comments within brackets are that of the author of this message for clarity and continuity]. Please press on the “read more” link.
(USN COAMPS Model Valid 12Z Thurs 18 Sep 03)We had some prelim items before entering 72 hours, we are virtually past that now, [but it was] mostly a check of leadership availability, including ECs [and key] ARES members. Note: this is just availability, not a standby or alert
We are almost near the 72 hour trigger, [which is slated to] start at 9-15….1400 local. [We]need to begin with coordination emails sent by Rob to Skywarn list..general [Done]. DECs should begin situational awareness updates mostly for information purposes…leading to preparedness. No mention of assignments or deployment, as it would raise premature wantings to step too far ahead..DECs need to contact their ECs or any other ARES member to see if any requests have come from EM directors or ANY served agency member that compression of timeline can occur if speed estimates change comments on 72 hour preps? [I] forgot to mention that the chain of info works both ways, [as] you need to make sure that requests and info goes both up and down the chain to ensure uniform knowledge.
At 48hours you should begin your calldown to your ECs and down to the members [and] log any discrepancies or issues. MAKE IMMEDIATE preps to secure your own property! You can’t help anyone if your worried about the thing you did not get done for personal readiness! Coordination messages should continue from skywarn to their general list. The skywarn messages are CRITICAL to decision making.
We will go on to 36 hours. [You should] begin the] second call down to ARES EC and the membership lists. You may find that people that were not available in the first call down are now available. The opposite is also true. In a drama like this…plans can change quickly. You need to have as close to real time avail. lists as possible. It also gives those vital #s that Mike needs for Situation reporting. This is the next step, [to] initiate comms with other DECs and the SEC. If we don’t, we are likely to miss something major in the process. [We] also [want to] stress the EC-DEC up and down chain of reporting on served agency requests and possible sources of otherwise unknown info from EMs..
24 hour preparations. Initiate a FULL statue [status] report from the DEC level to Mike (SEC). [The] SEC MUST know what weaknesses exist in order to make decisions. Send as many as you feel the need to do. Often is BETTER! Also..if time permits, a meeting of leadership can be called on IM, in person, or via conference call.
For EC’s and EMA reps to ARES: Please report your status ASAP to your DEC upon reading this.
For DEC’s: Please forward a preliminary report upon receipt of this notice.
IMPORTANT: Future updates will appear first on our website, then by email if time and conditions allow.
FOR ALL: Please complete home preparations now, and review contact and mobilization policies posted on our website (listed below by my name).
I look forward to working with you in the following days. Best to you and your families. 73,
s/Michael P. Neilsen
Michael P. Neilsen, W1MPN, EMa SEC
978.389.0558 FAX/Secondary Voice